Most classes are one-hour sessions held weekly at our training facilities on 243 Alabama street (the cross street is 16th Street). We are located in San Francisco.
Classes are held in the Maddie’s Center Multipurpose Rooms or the Training Annex. Our training rooms are large, with flooring specifically designed for the comfort of dogs and people.
The training rooms have direct street parking and are handicap accessible. The Maddie’s Center Multipurpose Room is a large room geared for our larger classes, sport classes or specialty classes.
The Training Annex is a classroom space geared for smaller classes, small dog classes, or puppy classes, and provides a more personal class setting.
For some of our classes, the first class is an “Orientation.” You do not bring your puppy or dog to this class. During this session, we will go over all the basics and let you know what you need to bring to your next class. You must attend this orientation in order to continue in the class. Puppy Manners, Adolescent Manners, and Growly Dog require an orientation.
In most of our classes, you and your dog will begin training during the first class. We encourage our students to attend our New Dog 101 Free Information Session before the start of your first class. See “What to Bring to Class” below to prepare for training class.
We regularly add new classes to our schedule. If you do not see a current series that works for you, please call 415-522-3509 to find out about upcoming classes.
Discounts for Animals Adopted from a Shelter or Rescue Group
We offer a discount on all beginning level classes (Puppy Manners, Just the Basics, Just the Small Basics, and Shy Dog) for dogs adopted from animal shelters or rescue groups. We will require proof of adoption at your first class.
Class Sizes are Limited
You must register in advance for all classes. In order to enroll in a class, you must complete a registration form and submit it online, by mail, or fax it with payment. If your first choice class is full, you will be enrolled in your second or third choice, provided there is space available.
Payment and Refunds
Payment is required at time of enrollment to reserve a space in class.
We accept MasterCard, Visa, American Express, personal checks and cash.
- Registrations that are submitted online or by fax must be paid by credit card
- Cash, check and credit cards are accepted for in-person enrollments
- Enrollments by mail must be paid by check or credit card
Refunds can only be provided if we are notified at least 5 days before the first class session. If, within the first 3 sessions of a class, a dog is unable to attend due to an injury or illness, you may receive a 50% credit toward a future class, which will be good for one year. We regret that no credit or refund can be provided for any reason after the first 3 sessions of class. The exception to this is adopters who are required to provide proof of class registration at San Francisco Animal Care and Control in order to adopt. In this case, no refunds will be provided.
Please read our policy regarding cancellations and refunds.
WHAT TO BRING TO CLASS
- Dog (check class description to see if dog is brought to first class)
- Exercise and relieve your dog prior to class.
- If class time is near dog’s mealtime, feed only 1/2 meal and bring the rest to class.
- Edible and Toy Treats
- Soft, small dog treats work best (ask class instructor for size suggestion). Check with your vet before trying any new treats.
- Small toys (plush or other) if your dog enjoys them as a reward.
- Four foot - Six foot leash (leather or nylon)
- Flat Collar (buckle or clip)
- Halti, Sensation Harness or Gentle Leader - Optional
- Please, no Flexi or Retractable leashes
- Proof of Rabies and current vaccinations for all dogs over 16 weeks
- Proof of 2 DHLPP – for puppies 16 weeks or less
- Optional (Note: May be required by individual instructors. Please check any emails you receive from the instructor before class for details.)
- Mat for dog to lie on
- Chew bone for quiet time (only if easy to take away)
- Water and water dish
SF SPCA Dog Training
243 Alabama Street
San Francisco CA 94103
Phone: (415) 522-3509
Fax: (415) 554-3017
Visit our Events calendar to see Dog Training classes and other SF SPCA events.